Monday, March 11, 2013

Gaissa


This is a Gaissa shot glass designed by Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala in 1972.
He was inspired by ice, and the base of the glass really does look like melting ice,
especially when you pour a drink on it.


My father gave me a set of six shot glasses when I last visited him.
I remember admiring these glasses already as a child for their beautiful appearance.


 My father bought this set of glasses in the '70s to serve drinks for his friends when he was still wild and single, haha!


The condition of the glasses is like brand new,
and I'm extremely happy to be their new owner!


 Hopefully we will serve a lot of good drinks out of them,
 and have as good a time as my father did back in the day!


 For the photoshoot, I poured a shot of Unicum into one of the glasses,
and as it is my favorite liquor, yes, I drank it too!

PS. There is a new version of Unicum available, Unicum Szilva ("Unicum Plum"), but unfortunately, for the true lovers of Unicum, it is most likely too sweet. I was very much looking forward to tasting it on our trip to Budapest but was so disappointed when I finally did... But maybe it is a relief too, because now it's proven once again that nothing can compete with the original Unicum, and hence all is well in the universe, haha!

PPS. I forgot to mention, they still sell a variety of Gaissa glasses these days:
http://store.iittala.com/Iittala/gaissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment